When my mother passed away, a close family friend made us two wonderful cakes. One was the Kentucky Apple cake, which was a hit with the big guys, and the other was this moist, dense chocolate cake, which was a hit with my three sons and their friends. My twin boys requested this for their birthday with one stipulation – they each wanted their own cake, just for them! Oh, and don’t be thrown off by the inclusion of coffee in the recipe. You would never know it’s there. Matter of fact, if my boys knew it was in there, they would freak out since they hate coffee!
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c strong black coffee, cooled
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 c margarine, softened
2 oz melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled
3 c powdered sugar
3 Tbsp milk
2 tsp real vanilla extract
1. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
2. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for two minutes. Batter will be thin.
3. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9×13 pan or two 9 inch cake pans.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes for a 9×13, or 30-35 minutes for layer pans.
5. Combine frosting ingredients and mix with a hand or stand mixer. Spread frosting on cooled cakes.
Put the image below in one of your Pinterest boards so you can always have it with you when you need it.This enables us to continue receiving funding from Pinterest.