This was a recipe that my co-worker Frances would make for someone she felt was special. I was a traveling nurse at University Of NEW MEXICO, NSICU depart, and before I left, she made this for me. When you make it you will know why, it takes a little time to make, but the aroma of it baking and taste is so worth it. Good Luck and enjoy!
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 c shortening, crisco
2 c sugar
5 egg yolk
5 egg whites, stiffly beaten-like meringue
2 c cake flour
1 tsp soda
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c pecan nuts, chopped
1 can(s) coconut, i usually use 1 bag complete coconut flakes
CREAMED CHEESE FROSTING:
8 oz packaged cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 box powered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
1/2 stick butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 9 inch pans.
2. Cream butter and shortening:add sugar and beat mixture until smooth. Add egg yolks and beat well.
3. Combine flour, soda and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
4. Stir in vanilla. Add coconut and nuts.*
5. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Do not over stir.
6. Pour into three* greased and floured 9 inch pans. I usually only use two** round pans.
7. Let Cake completely cool before you frost.
8. Bake at 325 degrees until done.
9. * Save small amount, approx 1/4 cup of coconut and enough pecans for decorating cake. **If you use 2 pans, bake for approx. 35-40 minutes. ***If you use 3 pans, bake for 30 minutes.
10. Cream Cheese Frosting:
11. Beat Cream cheese and butter until smooth.
12. Add sugar and mix well.
13. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
14. Spread between layers and on top of cake. Sprinkle top with saved chopped pecans and coconut.
Put the image below in one of your Pinterest boards so you can always have it with you when you need it.This enables us to continue receiving funding from Pinterest.