Recipe by Lisa Glass
When my mother passed away, a close family friend made us two fantastic cakes. This apple cake is one of them! Both my father and my boyfriend couldn’t stop raving about this one and said they could eat this cake all day, every day. When I took this cake to work for a carry-in, a coworker said it was the best thing she’s ever had in her mouth. I told her she’s a newlywed, so she better be careful what she says 😉
CREAM IN A LARGE BOWL OR STAND MIXER:
2 stick margarine
2 c sugar
2 large eggs
IN A SEPARATE BOWL, COMBINE:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
ADD DRY INGREDIENTS TO THE MARGARINE MIXTURE. MIX IN:
3 c finely chopped apples
1 c chopped walnuts
2-3 Tbsp milk
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c margarine
1/4 c buttermilk
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1. Follow the above steps to make the cake batter.
2. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan Spread apple cake batter evenly in pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out without raw batter on it.
4. While cake is baking, combine all the glaze ingredients except the vanilla in a medium pan. Stir and cook to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
5. Pour and spread glaze over hot cake as soon as the cake is removed from the oven.
6. Let cake cool completely before serving. The longer it sits, the better it gets!
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Join our mailing list & get FREE recipes!
Sign up here to get the latest updates and recipes delivered directly to your inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.