This is a wonderful, cheese-enhanced squash casserole that my husband makes from memory of his mother’s recipe.
Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 10-12
3 lb yellow squash, sliced or diced
1/2 c diced Vidalia onion, optional
1 can(s) cream of mushroom or chicken soup, 10.5 oz.
1 c mayonaise
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is my favorite)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Wash and slice squash into small medallions or dice into smaller pieces if the squash is large. I prefer smaller sized squash since it is tender. Put squash into a large bowl for mixing with the filling.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the soup, mayo, eggs, cheese, onions, salt, and pepper.
4. Pour over squash.
5. Stir until well mixed.
6. Then pour into a casserole dish for baking.
7. Crush crackers while in “tubes” (I usually wrap them in a dish towel to avoid a mess, and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer) or place in a resealable plastic bag.
8. Pour crushed crackers into a bowl. Melt butter in the microwave and stir into crackers until moist.
9. Drizzle on top of casserole. (You can make more or less of the topping. More topping = more yummy!)
10. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and brown on top (usually 45-50 minutes). Bake for 30 minutes covered. with foil to help prevent crackers from burning.
11. Then uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
12. ***If you want, you can add a cup of chopped cooked chicken into casserole. Also, adding 2 cups of cooked rice into it makes a delish meal.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Put the image below in one of your Pinterest boards so you can always have it with you when you need it.This enables us to continue receiving funding from Pinterest.